- Not communicate the answer to the security question via email. Call and/or text the recipient with the password. If the Criminal only has access to your emails they won’t get the answer easily.
- Select a question and answer that is not easy for a third party to guess. If the notification is intercepted, it will be harder for a criminal to answer and steal the funds. If your question is “Who is my favourite Beatle?” Fraudsters have a 1 in 4 chance of guessing your answer.
- Be cautious not to click on any phishing links and ensure that they are only transacting with trusted websites, vendors and people.
- Immediately notify your financial institution if you sense anything suspicious about your transaction.
- Register for Autodeposit (if enabled for your institution). This will make sending money on the e-Transfer service more secure.
Visit our Member Security section of the blog for more tips and articles about keeping safe!