As of October 4th 2016, new cards issued by The Energy Credit Union come with Interac Flash® capability. As your debit card expiry date nears, you will receive a new card with the ability to “tap and pay” for small purchases, without having to insert your card or enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). If your expiry date is further in the future and you would like to take advantage of this free and convenient service, please contact the CU to order your contactless Interac Flash® card. Members who do not want the contactless Interac Flash® service on their card are free to opt out by letting the CU know in writing that they are choosing to opt out.
Benefits of Interac Flash®
- Speed and convenience of moving through the purchase transaction
- Ideal for small purchases
- Not having to enter your confidential PIN where others could see it
- Your card never leaves your hand
Using Your Card to Pay
First, the store’s point-of-sale terminal must accept this form of contactless payment. Look for the contactless logo ￼on the device screen or simply ask the business if they accept Interac Flash®. Then follow these steps:
- Tap your card against the terminal’s screen, or hold it no more than 4 cm away.
- A beep and/or an approved message on the screen will indicate that your transaction has been completed.
- The purchase will automatically be deducted from your primary chequing account.
Security Measures Implemented with Interac Flash®
- The contactless feature can’t be used for more than $400 in purchases in a row. Once that limit is reached, your PIN must be used. This resets your limit, and you can again use Interac Flash® for your purchases. A limit is placed on how large a purchase can be made at any one time. – up to $100
- From time to time, a point-of-sale terminal will randomly disallow the use of the contactless method for the transaction, and prompt you to insert the card and enter your PIN. This ensures that the rightful card owner is using the card.
- Interac Flash® uses secure chip processing and a secure RF smartcard technology with exclusive functionality and security. Each transaction is unique and encrypted, thus unable to be copied. No personal information is ever sent in a transaction, only an encrypted payment code to complete your transaction.
- Additional information on security and the Interac Zero Liability policy can be found on the Interac® website.
- If you would like to opt out of the contactless service, you can at any time by letting the CU know about your request in writing.
CHANGING YOUR PIN ON YOUR ENERGY CREDIT UNION ATM CARD
PIN changes are now quick, easy and convenient, with no need to visit a branch. If you forgot the PIN on your ATM card please call our offices during business hours. Credit Union staff will activate the new PIN Window feature on your card and then you can go to any Exchange machine with PIN changing capabilities. You will have 4 hours before the PIN Window will close. When prompted to enter a PIN you will just enter any “dummy” 4 digit PIN and choose “change PIN”. Due to the activation of the PIN Window by CU staff you will then put in the new 4 digit PIN of your choice. You can then continue with a banking transaction or you can end the transaction. The next time you use your Energy CU ATM card you will use the new 4 digit PIN you selected.
If you already know the PIN on your ATM card but you want to choose a new one, please visit our branch or any Exchange machine with PIN changing capabilities. If you want to find the closest machine to you you can search ATM locations in our APP or call our branch at 416-238-5606.
Interac Flash® FAQs
Q. What is Interac Flash®?
A. Interac Flash® is an enhancement of Interac Debit. With Interac Flash® you can simply pay in a ‘flash’ by holding your card up to a reader that supports Interac Flash® technology to make a payment instantly. There is no need to insert the card or enter a PIN on small transactions.
The flash feature is activated by using the chip and PIN at any merchant in Canada or at any ATM displaying the logo for either Exchange, ACCULINK® or Interac networks.
Q. What are the benefits of Interac Flash® to consumers?
A. The primary benefit is that the Interac Flash® service is a fast and convenient way to pay for everyday purchases at the point-of-sale. Interac Flash® technology is built using the highest security available for contactless payments protecting it from electronic pickpocketing attacks.
Q. Why is the industry moving to Interac Flash® technology?
A. The move to Interac Flash® technology is the latest innovation in the rapidly changing payments environment, and demonstrates the industry’s responsiveness to consumer’s needs for convenience and security.
Q. Is there a limit to how much can be spent using Interac Flash® technology?
A. Yes, there are transaction limits for purchases made using Interac Flash®. A single transaction using Interac Flash® cannot exceed $100 and there is a cumulative spend limit of $200. Once the $200 limit is reached (regardless of the time it takes to reach that limit), you will be asked to insert your card and enter your chip and PIN to complete the transaction. Inserting the chip and PIN to complete a transaction will reset the Interac Flash® limits.
Q. Can the limit for Interac Flash® transactions be increased?
A. The limits for Interac Flash® have been set by Interac® so we do not have the ability to change or increase the limits for Interac Flash® transactions.
Q. Can Interac Flash® be used everywhere?
A. The Interac Flash® debit card will work everywhere, however the merchant has to have an Interac Flash® compatible terminal to be able to use the ‘tap’ or flash method of payment. If they do not have a Interac Flash® reader, you will need to insert your card Energy CU Interac Flash® Card and then begin using Chip and PIN
as you currently do today. Over time, more retailers will be installing Interac Flash® enabled machines.
Q. Do I have to use the Interac Flash® technology?
A. No, you do not have to use the Interac Flash® technology if you don’t want to. You can continue to use your MEMBER CARD as you have in the past, by inserting your chip and following the prompts on the screen when conducting a transaction at any ATM or when making purchases at a merchant location.
Q. Can I change my PIN?
A. If you know your existing PIN you can change it at any credit union ATM that displays the Exchange or ACCULINK® symbol. You can also change your PIN at any Energy CU branch if you have forgotten it or feel it should be changed.
Q. Is Interac Flash® secure?
A. Yes, it is secure. Interac Flash® uses secure chip processing to protect against skimming, counterfeiting and electronic pick-pocketing. There is also a cumulative spend limit that once reached requires a ‘chip & PIN’ transaction to ensure the user is the legitimate cardholder.
Q. What if someone steals my card – what will stop them from emptying my
A. Another layer of safety comes from limits set on your Member Card® debit card enabled with the Interac Flash® service. The maximum amount per purchase using the Interac Flash® service is $100. On top of that, there is a cumulative spend limit of $200. Once this limit is reached (regardless of time in which it is reached), you will be asked to insert your card and enter your PIN to complete the transaction. Inserting the chip and PIN will reset your Interac Flash® limits.
Q. Do I need to keep my card in an aluminum case or some type of card
A. No. The Near Field Contact (NFC) technology inherent to the Interac Flash® service protects your card from being copied and counterfeited. You can use and carry your card with confidence, knowing no one can pickpocket information or process fraudulent transactions.
Q. Are there any other consumer protections in place?
A. Consumers are protected by the terms and conditions of your Member Card® debit card PIN agreement, in addition to the Interac Zero Liability policy.
For your part, it is important that you:
- Prevent others from using or accessing your card, by keeping it secure andwithin your control at all times.
- Monitor your accounts and immediately report any suspicious activity.
- Immediately report your card if it becomes lost or stolen.
- Please refer to your Member Card debit card PIN Agreement for more information.
Q. How will I track purchases I’ve made using the Interac Flash® service?
A. You will be able to get receipts just the way you do today with your Chip and PIN debit purchases. Each transaction will be itemized on your statement.